North Carolina bishops issue new alert on Woman's Right to Know Act
North Carolina's two bishops are urging Catholics to pick up their telephones to give their legislators a call in support of a bill that provides important information to women who are considering an abortion.
Through the non- partisan Web site Catholic Voice North Carolina, Bishop Peter Jugis and Bishop Michael Burbidge issued the alert Wednesday morning.
HB 854, the Woman's Right to Know Act, requires a 24-hour waiting period for women who are considering an abortion. It also requires that women be given information about the abortion procedure including; the name of the physician who will perform the abortion; the medical risks associated with the procedure, including psychological risks; the probable gestational age of the unborn child and information about the opportunity to view an ultrasound and hear the heartbeat of her child.
A vote by the house of representatives of the General Assembly is expected to occur this week.
Since its formation in 2008, Catholic Voice North Carolina has issued several dozen e-mail alerts including one in early May for HB 854.
This is the first alert that asks participants to place telephone calls instead of sending an e-mail to elected officials.
Catholic Voice NC participants who respond to the alert are given the name and phone number of their elected official.
The alert from the bishops notes that many legislators keep a phone log that tallies the support and opposition to bills that are under consideration.
Read the bishops' alert at www.CatholicVoiceNC.org.
-- David Hains, Director of Communication
FROM THE PASTORS
Read and listen to homilies posted regularly by pastors at parishes within the Diocese of Charlotte:
- Fr. Frank Cancro at Queen of the Apostles
- Fr. Patrick Earl at St. Peter in Charlotte
- Fr. John Eckert at St. John the Baptist in Tryon
- Fr. Timothy Reid at St. Ann in Charlotte
- Fr. Benjamin Roberts at Our Lady of Lourdes in Monroe
- Fr. Patrick Winslow at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlotte
- Watch full Masses live and on demand, listen to homilies and reflections from Sacred Heart Church in Salisbury
- Listen to homilies from St. William Catholic Church in Murphy