Holy Cross Church celebrates 'burning the mortgage'
KERNERSVILLE — About 300 parishioners of Holy Cross Church in Kernersville gathered after Mass Oct. 15 to watch as their pastor, Father Paul Dechant, OSFS, ceremonially burned the church's mortgage at the feet of a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child.
The original mortgage was for $911,000, obtained on May 15, 2003, and payment was completed 18 months early. Holy Cross began as a mission with 10 families in 1969, and now includes more than 1,200 families.
— Fred Hogan, correspondent
FROM THE PASTORS
Read and listen to homilies posted regularly by pastors at parishes within the Diocese of Charlotte:
- Fr. Frank Cancro at Queen of the Apostles
- Fr. Patrick Earl at St. Peter in Charlotte
- Fr. John Eckert at St. John the Baptist in Tryon
- Fr. Timothy Reid at St. Ann in Charlotte
- Fr. Benjamin Roberts at Our Lady of Lourdes in Monroe
- Fr. Patrick Winslow at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlotte
- Watch full Masses live and on demand, listen to homilies and reflections from Sacred Heart Church in Salisbury
- Listen to homilies from St. William Catholic Church in Murphy